Two dead after fireworks spark massive explosion at Ontario house, US
Two people died after a massive explosion set off by fireworks at an Ontario house in the US rocked a residential neighbourhood Tuesday, 16 March 2021. Ontario Fire Department Chief Ray Gayk said at a media briefing that commercial-grade fireworks started the fire at a roughly one-acre residential lot near West Francis Street and Fern Avenue. The fire department’s bomb squad is clearing the area, and several agencies, including the FBI, are investigating the incident. “They are commercial grade,” Gayk said, “like you would normally see in the fireworks show.” The two people who died in the blast had not been identified as of Tuesday evening. Their bodies had not been removed from the scene, officials said, citing the ongoing dangerous conditions.
The mother of 38-year-old Alex Paez told media on Wednesday that he and his cousin, 20-year-old Cesar Paez, were the deceased victims.
Chief Gayk said a horse was injured in the explosion. Video from KABC-TV Channel 7 showed a horse, smudged with black soot, trotting around the property after fire fighters freed it from one building’s wreckage.
Residents across a vast area reported hearing the blast and feeling the ground shake shortly before 13h00.
The Ontario Fire Department issued an evacuation order for neighbouring properties on West Francis and West Maple streets, between Fern and San Antonio avenues.
The city tweeted that a large cache of fireworks ignited at the house, setting the residence on fire. Smoke could be seen from as far away as Anaheim.
Two structures on the same lot, a front and back house, were engulfed in flames after the explosion, said Dan Bell, a spokesman for the city of Ontario. “The roof is gone, burned out,” Bell said of the rear property. “The one on the front, I was on the street; I could see flames coming through the roof. It will most likely be a total loss.”
Investigators did not enter any of the structures Tuesday due to the danger posed by remaining fireworks. “We’re hoping we can get on scene and start this investigation process and get those neighbours home as quickly as possible,” Bell said.
At about 17h40, someone behind the caution tape yelled “Fire!” as more fireworks crackled from inside the blast area and flames flared. Fire fighters began cascading water at the property. Neighbours were concerned there could be another explosion.
By 19h00, fire officials still did not think it safe enough to bring crews onto the smouldering property. With flareups occasionally sending flames into the air, units were pulled back into a defensive position around the perimeter. “The reason for that is the debris field was larger than we originally anticipated,” Gayk said during an evening media briefing. “And out of an abundance of caution, we wanted to make sure that all of our personnel were safe.”
Authorities could take as long as four days to declare the area safe, Ontario Police Chief Michael Lorenz said.
Scores of residents in the immediate blast area were barred from returning to their homes. Bell said city officials would provide housing for those who needed it overnight. Evacuees were advised to seek help with housing at an evacuation post set up at De Anza Community and Teen Centre at 1405 S Fern Avenue.
Some neighbours were aware of the fireworks in the neighbourhood long before Tuesday’s explosion. Oscar said he knew that the people who lived at the now-smouldering home had “a few fireworks” but he hadn’t been aware of the extent of their stockpile. “They always pop them off, random sometimes, like at night shows or a holiday,” he said.
Flying debris shattered windows and toppled televisions in Oscar Martinez’s home a few houses from the site of the blast. Martinez and six other members of his household were uninjured but the 21-year-old was nevertheless shaken. He said fireworks go off in their neighbourhood every few weeks, usually around midnight.
While the Ontario police have fielded numerous calls about fireworks in the area, Lorenz said late Tuesday that they had not received a complaint regarding the property that erupted in flames.
Sources: Los Angeles Times